Please find below details of the insurance policy we have in place to cover your goods whilst in transit and storage. This cover is available subject to you fulfilling certain obligations as detailed below.
Summary of Cover – Removers & General – Customer Insurance Protection – 23/01/2020
Insurer: Lonham Group Ltd on behalf of Chaucer Insurance Company DAC UK Branch
Registered in the UK and operating from offices at:
The Maltings, Princes Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1SB, United Kingdom
Lonham Group Ltd is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number: 311474
The Removers’ and General Insurance Policy is an insurance policy for Removers to cover customers’ property against loss or damage whilst being moved and/or stored. This Summary of Cover is for your guidance and explains both the principles of the cover and the terms and conditions of the insurance. If you fulfil the obligations noted herein you will become the beneficiary of Remover’s policy, subject to all terms and conditions noted below. In this document, “we”, “us” and “our” means the Insurer. “You” and “your” means the beneficiary of this cover. Your Remover is not able to provide any advice regarding the suitability of this cover and cannot provide any additional information other than what is contained within this document.
What is covered?
Are there any restrictions on cover?
Where am I covered?
English Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the High Court of Justice, England will apply.
What are my obligations?
What is not covered?
Jewellery, Watches, Precious Stones, Precious Metals, Money, Coins, Bullion, Deeds, Bonds, Securities and Stamps of all kinds; Livestock, Pets; Furs, Perfumery, Tobacco products, Wines, Spirits and the like; Mobile Phones; Weapons, Arms, Ammunition or Explosives and/or parts, associated accessories, materials or ingredients of all kinds; Loss of data records other than the cost of blank data carrying materials.
In respect of Motor Vehicles and Boats:
Pairs & Sets Clause: Where any items are part of a pair or set, Insurers will only pay the indemnity value for the actual parts which are lost or damaged. No payment will be made for articles that are not lost or damaged.
When and how do I pay?
When does the cover start and end?
How do I cancel the cover?
What if I have a claim?
Swan House, Swan Centre,
KT22 8AH, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 1372 385970
The Maltings, Princes Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1SB, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 216 116, Fax: +44 (0) 1473 295 079
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or,
38 & 39 Baggot Street Lower,
Dublin 2, D02 T938, Ireland.
Tel: +353 1567 5580.
CHAUCER INSURANCE COMPANY DAC is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland
Why should I take out this cover?
Your Removers will take every care to protect your goods. Unfortunately accidents can occur. This is why you are recommended to take advantage of the special arrangements made with leading insurance companies who underwrite the Removers and General policy. If you do not wish to benefit from the cover then any responsibility the Removers may have to you for loss or damage will be governed by their Trading Conditions which may limit both the circumstances and amounts available for compensation.
Who are the Insurers?
The Removers and General policy is underwritten by:
Lonham Group Limited,
for and on behalf of Chaucer Syndicate 1084 at Lloyd’s
How do I arrange protection?
This is quite simple. All you have to do is to accept the option shown on the Remover’s estimate or quotation form, check that you have inserted a correct valuation for your effects, and to pay the Removers charges in full. This document then becomes your confirmation of cover.
How do I value my Goods?
The cover provided is on an indemnity basis (not “new for old”) which means that you must declare the value of your goods (hereinafter referred to as the “Sum Insured”) for their current used value, taking into account their condition and age. It is essential that you do not under value your goods as the settlement of any claim may be reduced.Please do not ask your Remover for guidance about your valuation. They are not valuers, and the responsibility for declaring the sum insured is yours.
What will Insurers pay for?
The cover includes physical loss, destruction or damage to your goods by certain events or perils whilst in the care, custody and control of the Removers during Removal and/or Storage. Cover ceases as soon as your goods are delivered to, or collected by, you.
Are there any exclusions?
Yes. There are certain goods that cannot be accepted and certain eventualities which are not covered. These exclusions and restrictions are clearly listed in the exclusions section of this summary and you are recommended to familiarise yourself with these before proceeding.
Your attention is particularly drawn to the following exclusions and conditions, which are frequently misunderstood:-
• The Owner Packed Effects Clause, which limit Insurer’s liability for goods which you pack yourself.
• Exclusion 4, which excludes the unexplained failure of electrical, electronic or mechanical items unless they have also suffered related external physical damage.
• The “Pairs and Sets” clause, which limits Insurers liability to the value of a damaged item without reference to its value within the pair or set of which it is part.
All Exclusions and Conditions within the cover are of equal standing.
What if I have a claim?
You should report any loss or damage to your Remover as soon as possible and no later than 7 days after taking delivery. You will be issued with a claim form to complete and return to the Remover, who will send it to the Insurers claims settling agents, Removal Claims Service.
This notification period is important both for you and insurers. Where a claim is notified late, it may prejudice your / Insurers position and affect how the claim is considered.
Your claim will be dealt with in accordance with the Summary of Cover. If an excess is shown in the following Summary of Cover, it will be deducted from any claim.
If you need to submit a claim:
Your claim will be dealt with as quickly as possible. You can help by:
• Only claiming for items and loss or damage which is covered,
• Being realistic with the amounts you are claiming, and
• Submitting repair estimates, evidence of original/replacement purchase price and, photographs of any damage with your claim form.
If any claim be in any respect fraudulent in any way this cover shall become void and all claims shall be forfeited. The cover will be deemed not to have attached and no premium will be refunded.
Both Insurers and their claims settling agents, Removal Claims Services make every effort to provide a good service to customers whom are entitled to claim under this cover. If on any occasion service falls below the standard you would expect, we would like the opportunity to offer additional support to put things right. In order for us to resolve your grievance promptly, we ask you follow the below procedure:
1. Contact the person dealing with the matter outlining the nature of the problem.
2. If you remain dissatisfied, write to the Claims Manager at Removal Claims Service who will give the matter his personal attention.
3. Should the matter still not be resolved to your satisfaction Removal Claims Service will provide you with details of the address and the person to contact at the Insurers.
If, after following the above procedure, your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you may have the right to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service at: South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR
SUMMARY OF COVER
PRECONDITION FOR COVER
This is a summary of the cover held by the Removal and Storage Company you have chosen. You will only be able to claim if prior to the removal you have confirmed that cover is required and paid or agreed to pay the removal and/or storage charges.
DURATION OF COVER
This cover is effective from the time the Property is professionally packed and/or uplifted from your residence or your business location for the commencement of the transit and continues, including storage if any, until the insured Property is professionally delivered to the final destination. If the goods are professionally unpacked coverage is extended to cover the period of professional unpacking provided this takes place within 7 days of delivery.
Removals: This cover will only pay for loss or damage which occurred during your chosen Removal and Storage Company’s insurance policy with Lonham Group Limited.
Storage: This cover will only pay for loss or damage discovered during your chosen Removal and Storage Company’s insurance policy with Lonham Group Limited.
The cover includes physical loss, destruction or damage to your goods by an included event or peril that occurred during the period of this cover (whilst in the care, custody and control of the Removers during Removal and/or Storage).
BASIS OF SETTLEMENT
The settlement of any claim shall be the replacement, repair and/or compensation at Insurers option. Insurers will take into consideration the age, quality, degree of use and consequent market value of items when calculating settlement.
In respect of documents, the basis of claims settlement shall be limited to the physical cost of replacing the documents and/or cost of reprinting, re-issue and/or reconstitution but excluding the value of the information contained thereon.
PROPERTY WHICH IS NOT COVERED
1. Jewellery, watches, precious stones, precious metals, money, coins, bullion, deeds, bonds, securities and stamps of all kinds.
2. Livestock and/or Pets.
3. Furs, perfumery, tobacco products, wines, spirits and the like, mobile phones.
4. Weapons, Arms, Ammunition or Explosives and/or parts, associated accessories, materials or ingredients of all kinds.
5. Loss of data records other than the cost of blank data carrying materials.
OWNER PACKED EFFECTS CLAUSE
This cover excludes risk of breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining and tearing of owner packed effects including trunks, suitcases and the like unless reasonably attributed to physical damage to such items from collision or overturning of road vehicles or other conveyances.
Also excluding claims for missing items unless a valued list of contents of each carton is supplied by the owner/customer to the Removal & Storage Company prior to the commencement of the transit and such list is approved.
MOTOR VEHICLES AND BOATS
Excluding loss or damage to motor vehicles and/or boats caused by scratching, bruising, denting, marring, cost of repainting, rust, oxidisation and discolouration unless a condition report is completed (either separately or on the inventory) prior to transit/shipment commencing.
Excluding cover whilst under own power except whilst loading to/from the shipping container or carrying conveyance.
Cover ceases once the motor vehicle or boat is discharged from the shipping company’s care, custody or control unless:
a) The vehicle or boat remains in a shipping container to the final destination agreed, or
b) The vehicle or boat is conveyed by a commercial carrier to the final destination agreed.
Excluding theft of accessories, personal effects and tool kits but including loss of accessories if factory fitted.
Insurers will not pay the first £100.00 of any claim (the Excess).
Insurers will not pay claims for:
1. Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, rust or gradual deterioration, insufficiency of insulation, shortage in weight, evaporation, inherent vice or latent defect.
2. Loss or damage caused by moth, insect or vermin (including contamination) unless from an external cause.
3. Loss or damage caused by leakage of liquid from a receptacle or container.
4. Mechanical or Electrical derangement of any mechanical or electrical items unless reasonably attributable to physical damage from an external cause or following fire, flood, collision or overturning of road vehicles or other conveyance.
5. Mildew, Mould, Extremes of Temperature or other Atmospheric conditions.
6. Damage resulting from goods being moved under your express instructions against the Remover’s advice.
7. Claims for indirect loss, consequential loss, loss of market or delay of any kind or description.
8. Loss of structural integrity of furniture constructed of particle board resulting from crumbling of the board.
Insurers will not pay claims following:
1. Loss or damage from or liability or expense directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to, by, or arising from radioactive contamination, chemical, biological, bio-chemical and electromagnetic weapons.
2. Loss or destruction or damage directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
3. Loss, damage, expense or liability of whatever nature arising out of or in any way connected with, whether directly or indirectly, the use or operation of any computer, computer system, computer software, program or process or any electronic system.
4. Loss, damage, expense or liability arising out of war, invasion, Act of Foreign Enemy hostilities (whether war be declared or not), Civil Way, Rebellion, Revolution, Insurrection or Military or Usurped Power or confiscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority. This exclusion shall not apply to overseas removals whilst the Customers’ property is waterborne.
5. Loss, damage, expense or liability caused by or resulting from any acts of Terrorism or any person(s) acting from political motive.
If the value of the property covered at the time of loss is collectively greater than the Sum Insured, then you shall be considered as being your own Insurer for the difference and you will only be entitled to be paid that proportion of the loss which the value declared bears to the actual value of the property removed and/or stored.
PAIRS AND SETS
Where any items are part of a pair or set, Insurers will only pay the indemnity value for the actual parts which are lost or damaged. No payment will be made for articles that are not lost or damaged.
NON CONTRIBUTION CLAUSE
If at the time of loss there is other insurance in force this cover shall only respond to the extent that losses are not recoverable under the other insurance.
Subject to payment of the actual value of a damaged item by Insurers, they may at their discretion take over ownership of the property. No property may be abandoned to Insurers.
LAW AND JURISDICTION
The cover shall be construed according to and governed by English Law and any dispute hereunder shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the High Court of Justice, England.
Any claim must be advised in detail to the Remover in writing within seven days of your removal or delivery from store. However if you arrange your own collection from store then any claim must be notified at the time of handing over.COMPENSATION
Lloyd’s of London belongs to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). In the event of Insurers not being able to fulfil their financial obligation in paying your valid claim you may be entitled to compensation under the FSCS up to GBP 2,000 for the first part of your claim and 90% of the remainder of your claim. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS on telephone number: +44 (0) 20 7892 7300 or www.fscs.org.uk
Our storage packages have the added benefit of free removal of your items, saving you up to £1,000. All you need to do is pack your items (or we can pack for you, supplying boxes and packing material) and we’ll pick-up your items and store them in our safe and secure easyStorage facility. Then when you are ready, we’ll deliver them wherever you need us to. You just need to give us two working days’ notice. Perfect if you are moving house, running out of space, or just need somewhere to store your stuff.
Our storage plans provide you with a cost-effective alternative to renting your own lock-up storage space as we’ll only charge you for the storage space you need, making it cheaper for you.