The weeks ahead require expert organisational skills! Before you can pick up the keys to your new home, a lot needs to happen in a short space of time.
To support you in this, we have compiled a moving timeline to make sure you’ll all sorted for the big day.
Start getting planning as early as possible. Moving and packing will take up more time than you think! Now is the time to save yourself a hassle. The more you do now, the easier your life will be on the day. Here are some easyStorage steps to follow in the moving/packing timeline:
• Make a detailed inventory of all possessions in your house
• Start sorting your possessions into what you’re taking with you and what you’re going to get rid of.
• Plan for packing your belongings and if you want to do this or get help. If you choose to do this, make sure you allow plenty of time.
• Start researching the move and all the logistics. Begin planning the move by thinking if you need to have your items in storage if there is a gap between leaving and moving into the new house.
• If you’re planning to move yourself, make sure you book a van in advance
• Moving day will come quicker than Lewis Hamilton tearing down Silverstone! Now is the time to make sure you have all your moving/packing materials. Order this in bulk and in advance to help save money.
• Notify your local council that you are moving. Inform them of the date that you plan to move and where to forward any correspondence such as your council tax bill.
• Notify your employer, building society, bank and creditors.
• Ask your doctor/dentist for recommendations of clinics near to your new location.
• Contact companies that cover your gas, electricity, water, telephone and cable services and arrange the end or transfer of accounts from your old to new address. Ask them to prepare the final bill for you if need be.
• Notify your children’s schools, family clubs, activity groups, and any other such organisations of your change of address and relative contact details.
• Arrange any servicing that may be required for your appliances at both your current and new address.
• Plan new and alternative routes to and from your new home and destinations such as work, schools, etc.
• Return borrowed things from neighbours and collect things you have loaned.
• Remove flammables and high-risk substances such as petrol, bleach and cleaning fluids, and pressurised containers and aerosol cans.
• If moving your TV aerial or satellite dish, then decide to have it taken down.
• Determine which items you will be needing close to hand on the day; Important documentation, keys, the list of names and telephone numbers, etc. and set them aside in an easy to remember area.
• Organise any professional or dry-cleaning services for fabrics and other such items as rugs and curtains. Keeping them in protective bags for the duration of your move.
• Begin to use up your frozen food supply.
• Drain the fuel from lawn mowers and other power equipment from the garden.
• If you do have your items in storage this would be the ideal date to confirm the re-delivery or end of term.
• Pack a box of essentials that will be required when you arrive- Light tools, cleaning supplies, bathroom items, refuge and recycling sacks, disposable plates and cups, kettle, tea, sugar, milk and snacks. Enough to survive for at least 24 hours.
• Make sure all packing is done. Be sure your refrigerator has fully defrosted and is clean and dry.
• Moving days can seem daunting for some. If you’ve followed all the steps, you should be somewhere between Zen calm and cucumber cool!
• Lock all windows and doors and turn off all switches. Exchange keys and say bye to your old home and the neighbours.
We know how exciting and sometimes challenging house moves can be. We spend a lot of our time helping with homeowners when waiting for completion or sells to go through. If you are in limbo and need storage, then do reach out. With our trained removal team we can have your items stored, returned and ready at the new house.
Speak with one of our storage consultants for best advice about your storage needsCall us today
Our storage packages have the added benefit of free removal of your items, saving you up to £1,000. All you need to do is pack your items (or we can pack for you, supplying boxes and packing material) and we’ll pick-up your items in and store them in our safe and secure easyStorage facility. Then when you are ready, we’ll deliver them wherever you need us to. You just need to give us 2 working days notice. Perfect if you are moving house, running our of space, or just need somewhere to store your stuff.
Our storage plans provide you with a cost-effective alternative to renting your own lock-up storage space as we’ll only charge you for the storage space you need, making it cheaper for you.