‘Blue Monday’ is the name given to the third Monday in January, considered to be the most depressing day of the year for various reasons:
· Gloomy January can drag on in the UK, cold and wet and dark!
· Christmas and the New Year often feel like a lifetime ago now
· Financial worries can hang over hanging over from Christmas, now long past;
· New Years Resolutions have already fallen by the wayside. (A study of British and Australian people undertaken by Australia’s Edith Cowan University revealed that around two-thirds of people abandon their New Year's resolutions within a month.);
· Body changes in winter affect our hormones, impact our sleeping and eating habits, and consequently mood;
· The cost of living crisis, especially high fuel bills (see cold and dark, above!) creating worries.
Whilst the low mood is real, the day itself was invented by a PR company to try and sell more summer holidays. Yet despite this, the factors which combine to at least make Blue Monday feel bleak are very real.
There are numerous organisations to help with our mental health, and the stigma around mental health problems is reducing. For most of us, a healthy diet, exercise, being sociable and fresh air and sunshine are factors that can have a positive influence.
· Removing excess ‘stuff’ can help you feel calmer, happier, and more in control;
· A tidier space relaxes the mind; untidy environments often increase stress;
· Improving living spaces can restore feelings of competency and pride;
· When one person is frustrated because they can't control someone else’s clutter (or their own), conflicts with family or housemates can occur;
· When home is tidy, it’s often more comfortable to invite friends in and be sociable;
· Decluttering can prevent bugs, reduce dust, mould, and mildew (which in turn may trigger asthma and allergies);
· A tidy bedroom environment can afford better sleep than a chaotic one;
Princeton University researchers discovered that our environment impacts our ability to complete tasks as well as our overall mental health. A University of Connecticut study found that by removing or controlling clutter, we can directly reduce stress that stems from the mess which can help us to feel happier, less anxious, and more confident in ourselves.
We hope that you can ease or get rid of those blues and fill them with a little sunshiny easyOrange!
Speak with one of our storage consultants for best advice about your storage needsCall us today
Book your storage online in a few clicks. We've made that easy too! (10% discount)Book online
Our storage packages have the added benefit of free removal of your items, saving you up to £1,000. All you need to do is pack your items (or we can pack for you, supplying boxes and packing material) and we’ll pick-up your items and store them in our safe and secure easyStorage facility. Then when you are ready, we’ll deliver them wherever you need us to. You just need to give us two working days’ notice. Perfect if you are moving house, running out of space, or just need somewhere to store your stuff.
Our storage plans provide you with a cost-effective alternative to renting your own lock-up storage space as we’ll only charge you for the storage space you need, making it cheaper for you.